Recently I’ve picked up a client with some issues with Active Directory replication. Domain Controller seemed to be offline and launching Active Directory Domains and Trusts GUI tool error message “The target principal name is incorrect” pop-up.
Fastest way was to demote it, cleanup meta data, seize FSMO roles to the another healthy Domain Controller which has Global Gatalog as well and promote back.
1. Faulty DC: Force demotion of the faulty Domain Controller by running DCPROMO /FORCEREMOVAL.
2. Healthy DC: Perform a metadata cleanup, see: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc816907(v=ws.10).aspx
3. Healthy DC: Run NETDOM QUERY FSMO to see if the old Domain Controller was an FSMO holder. If yes, seize the FSMO roles that it was holding on another Domain Controller. See: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/255504
4. Faulty DC: After server rebooted change DNS settings to point another Domain Controller if it’s not.
4. Faulty DC: Run DCPROMO to promote Domain Controller back.