VMware Fusion 10 – Cannot import .ova virtual appliance templates anymore?
I came across this situation after upgraded Fusion 8 on macOS from to version 10 and didn’t manage to import anymore some particular .ova virtual appliance tempalates in to it. e.g. Citrix XenMobile virtual appliance.
VMware Fusion 10 fails to import .ova template and gives an error: “Invalid target disk adapter type: pvscsi”. Apperantly latest OVF Tool included in it has a bug to import if SCSI Controller type configured in template as “VirtualSCSI” = pvscsi.
Workaround, before VMware fixes this issue, extract .ova template and change the SCSI Controller configured in .ovf file from “VirtualSCSI” SCSI Controller
1. Extract .ova file and you’ll get three files;
2. Open opt.ovf file and edit SCSI Controller section in it from “pvscsi” to “lsilogic”;
3. After file edited you still cannot import it as the manifest file “opt.mf”, which has been SHA signed, doesn’t match anymore to the original opt.ovf file signed.
4. Use OpenSSL to sign manifest file again (download and install OpenSLL first);
– Openssl sha1 *.vmdk *.ovf > opt.mf
5. After signed manifest file again you’re good to go and import .ova template succesfully. Of course it now uses different SCSI Controller, but it works at least for the latest Citrix XenMobile .ova template.